October 25, 2023
We are seeking proposals from alumni and faculty for our next virtual Business of Writing Seminars, to be held on March 9, 2024. Spalding’s Business of Writing Seminars is a half-day event consisting of four virtual sessions presented by writing professionals. Offered twice a year on a Saturday in the spring and fall, the Business of Writing Seminars provides enriching instruction to Spalding writers (1) interested in the business of writing in the professional (profit or nonprofit) workplace and (2) interested in publishing or production.
The March 2024 sessions' focus will be on Literary Activism and Community Building for Writers. Sessions are 60 minutes, including time for questions. We welcome proposals on the following topics:
· Launching and organizing a nonprofit. This could include how to incorporate, how to receive gifts and grants, how to develop a nonprofit board, best practices for working with volunteers, and overcoming other challenges.
· How to start and run small press
· How to start and run a literary journal
· How to create community theater
· How to build a film or play festival
· How to create a reading series
· How to organize a writing retreat
· Other topics of interest on literary activism and community building for writers
We invite you to submit a proposal. The deadline for proposals is December 15, 2023. We will respond in January.
Proposals can be for a single presenter, a joint presentation by two presenters, or a panel of three or four presenters. The honorarium for presenting a session is $200 for a single presenter or $300 divided among multiple presenters.